Job Title: Java Systems Architect
Job Type: Permanent, Full time
Location: Newport, South Wales
Salary: £50,000 to £60,000 pa
Reports to: IT Manager
The key responsibility of the architect is to achieve organisational goals by defining, integrating, programming and developing an existing comprehensive Java architecture and to facilitate future developments. You will design, plan, program and drive our IT projects within the conveyancing industry and the field of client identity. The role involves working closely with our existing IT Manager, who is a Java development expert, and in actively developing and programming to a high standard. You will act as a lead and back up to our software programmes and help to define future development and IT system requirements and disaster recovery procedures.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Achieves operational architecture objectives by contributing information and recommendations to strategic plans and reviews, preparing and completing action plans; implementing production and quality standards, resolving problems; identifying trends; determining systems improvements and implementing change.
- Meets information architecture financial objectives by: forecasting development – programming time requirements, analyzing variances and initiating corrective actions.
- Understands information requirements by studying organization mission, goals, and business drivers; conferring with executives as required.
- Defines infrastructure for design and integration of internet computing systems by analyzing information requirements; determining platform architecture, technology, and tools; studying business operations and user-interface requirements; directing development of physical database.
- Confirms architecture capability and flexibility to support high availability web applications by developing analytical models and completing validation tests.
- Improves architecture by tracking emerging technologies; evaluating their applicability to business goals and operational requirements.
- Enhances organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Provide clear project management where required, with draft visual examples of screens and reports based on development requirements.
- Act as backup to the It Manager – Senior Systems Developer and, where appropriate, the Web Developer, to provide extra resource as required.
- Support IT Manager in meeting deadlines for the provision of systems and documentation as required for the business or 3rd parties.
- Manage own work allocation, productivity and quality of work with minimum of supervision.
- Self motivated and able to organise own work with minimum supervision.
- Copes effectively in demanding circumstances.
- Good time management adopting a flexible approach to work.
- Demonstrates persistence and commitment to completing tasks and objectives.
- Delivers work output to the required standard.
- Pays attention to detail and quality of work.
- Demonstrates a commitment to improving working practices and supports company plans and policies.
Working with People
- Ability to build and maintain working relationships with others and is seen as ‘approachable’.
- Operates effectively as part of a team.
- Willing to offer help to all colleagues to ensure company success.
- Demonstrates sound judgement and good decision making when dealing with problems.
- Able to identify a problem arising and can develop a solution or take the correct course of action.
- Knows when to seek guidance or further input from others before taking action.
- Checks that information is accurate and complete.
- Looks for new solutions to problems as well as tried and tested methods.
- Able to express oneself both orally and in writing in a clear and constructive way.
- Willing to ask questions, listen to others views and accept advice.
- Willing to contribute ideas and seek improvements.
- Good client / Introducer handling skills both by telephone and face to face.
Knowledge and experience using:
- Java 8
- Angular & AngularJS
- Maven & Spring Frameworks
- SQL / Postgres Database Management
- APIs – specifically REST and SOAP
- HTML, XML & CSS
- Java Script
- Good understanding and experience of Microsoft Office products
- Elastic Beanstalk & AWS Deployment environment
- JBOSS AS
- J2EE – EJB/JMS
- Apache Tomcat